Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Barbie Experience Part 2 of 5

The Comeback

I was sitting on my bed waiting for the phone to ring. I stared off into the nothingness of my plain white walls. Why is it taking so long? Why hasn’t dad called me back yet? I looked at the crib on the other side of my bedroom. The old box of baby clothes and baby books from my childhood was sitting on the carpet next to it. I wondered what she would look like; I wondered if she would like my old toys. I couldn’t wait until she was old enough to play dress up with me-no, until we could play Barbies.
I opened my closet door and pushed back my clothes to uncover my collection. The entire back wall of my closet was filled with shelves. Floor to ceiling decorated with my beautifully pristine dolls. I took one out carefully reminiscing of times when I played with them every day. Each of them perfectly intact with all of their clothes, matching shoes, and color coordinating rings.
They are arranged from oldest on the top to the newest filling out the bottom of the wall. Their perfection emanated throughout my room. I would again get to play with them. I would have a sister to share my love for these incredibly maintained possessions; my jewels.
They make me happy.
Now I’ll have an excuse to play again. I’ll be able to play again.
“What the hell is that Sara?” My cousin Jason stared at my collection from behind my open door. His footsteps had been drowned out by my dreamlike humming.
“It’s for the baby genius!" I closed my closet door hastily and shoved him out of my room into the hallway. "My dad made that for me when I was little. I was going to throw them away but with the baby coming—”
“Rightttttt. Well you’re dad just called." My eyes widened and lips parted into a grin before I could stop them. "It’s a boy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment